Dr Kathleen Richardson is the winner of the Femihag of the Year Award for 2015.
The self-styled ‘anti-sexbot campaigner’ is lobbying governments to pass laws to put men in prison to be raped and beaten as sex offenders if they purchase robots for sexual purposes.
Disturbingly, her explicit motivation for doing so appears to be that if men have the option of sexbots, they will be less likely to pursue sexual relations with women and that this amounts to ‘exploiting women’.
In most cultures, attempting to obtain sex through force is regarded as attempted rape. Of course, when feminists do it, rather than attempted mass rape, it becomes magically transformed into ‘protecting women and children from exploitation’.
She explained to El Reg that it was in investigating the manufacture of sex-robots that she initially became concerned about the philosophy going into the creation of robo-whores.
“The relationship that is being imported,” by the sex-bot developers is one that has come directly from that between “prostitutes and johns” according to Richardson, who finds it “very disturbing”.
In a paper titled “The Asymmetrical ‘Relationship’: Parallels Between Prostitution and the Development of Sex Robots”, Richardson proposes “that prostitution is no ordinary activity and relies on the ability to use a person as a thing and this is why parallels between sex robots and prostitution are so frequently found by their advocates.”
Asked whether it it might be more appropriate to consider robo-whores as sex toys, which would most typically be considered a private and solitary part of human sexual activity, Richardson stressed the opposite.
“To call them toys is to understate the issue,” she said. “It’s not as if it’s a Barbie.” Dr Richardson also surprisingly offered the idea that there may be some form of exploitation involved in the manufacture of My Little Pony dolls.
“The better term is ‘sex object’,” said Dr Richardson, who emphasised that the objectification of prostitutes in the prostitute/john relationship is one that’s mimicked in the relationship between sex-robots and their owners.
Questioned whether objectification was worthy of concern when actual objects were involved, rather than people who were treated like objects, Richardson turned away from the actual issue of banning robots – stating again that sex toys, and sex robots, exist because of prostitution.
“We must abolish prostitution,” she said.
“80 per cent of women are prostitutes,” she added, but confirmed that actually she had meant that the other way round. The remaining 20 per cent she suggested were made up of children and transgendered men.